Monday, December 24, 2007

"Unmistakably Malay" - unmistakably disheartening

It was informed there is no printed menu but a special feature, a "walking and talking menu". Interesting. I was eager and I was breathlessly waiting to savour local delicacies since the tagline of the resort is proudly "Unmistakably Malay." I love Malay food. I asked the "walking/talking menu". So, can you recommend some local specialty? "Oh, the local has no specialty. How about having the fish steamed?" Huh?! I remembered reading from the brochure I snapped from the still-being-built airport expounding local specialties such as "Keropok Lekor", "Laksam", "Nasi Dagang", "Otak-otak", "Sata" to name but a few. What sort of answer is it to say the local has no specialty? The State Government is sparing no expenses to promote "Visit Terengganu Year 2008" but where is the promotion? Several attempts to ask for local coffee were met with indifferent attitude - we only have that on Saturday when we hold the "Kampung Nite". Huh, again?! Persistent request finally begets the local coffee - disappointingly diluted and without the fragrant aroma. Can I have coconut? Local ones please. Not the Thai coconut. "We only have the Thai coconut" Huh, the 3rd time?! But aren't we surrounded by swaying coconut trees abundant with the unmistakably green football like fruit? "Oh, we don't serve that as being near the sea, the fruit is not so sweet." But that's ok. That is what I liked about local coconuts. None of that sickening sweetness of the Thai variety, no offence meant. Just a matter of preference. Can't you just get that monkey I saw to go climb up for a local coconut? "Oh, we only do that on Saturday when we hold the "Kampung Nite"". Huh, huh, huh???!!! I am disappointed. I feel our country has so much to offer that is unique - wonderful gifts from Mother Nature to share, and not only on Saturday. But what is offered to visitors from home and abroad alike - international western fare. What is "unmistakably Malay" about Thai coconut, continental breakfast and non-local coffee?

No comments: